Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Don't Want To Friend You

Not too long ago, a friend sought me for a chat over Facebook. He updated me of his current whereabouts and his work. And then he told me that he was in the same department with someone I knew.

"She said to say Hello if I were to talk to you," he said. And gave me her email address. "Just in case you want to contact her."

I never did, but I did toy around with the thought of emailing her. Then I decided against it.

We used to be close, she and I. She took the trouble to attend my first wedding up north, and she did help me switch careers by providing the opportunities.


But, somehow along the way, I began to feel that she had been very judgmental about me. I know that she liked me because she kept me as a friend even after she left for greener pastures (she's been known to ignore former colleagues that she said "did not benefit her"). I began to look back at our friendship and our working relationship and remembered certain things she said to me, and the way she said them.

And so, one day, I simply decided to stop communicating with her.

There are times that I miss our friendship, but I don't think I want to be constantly judged by her "high" moral standards, religious views and political bearings.

Easier that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment